JOHN BOARD (1706-1787)

The birth date for John Board, 13 October 1706, is recorded in the church records for St.Margaret’s Anglican Church, Westminster Parish, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. John was the son of Francis and Ann Mead Board and the grandson of Francis and Anna Mead of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Jemima was the granddaughter of Joseph and Jane Long Peake, and the great granddaughter of George and Mary Peake of Calvert County and Thomas and Jane Long of Baltimore County. Although her parents cannot be positively identified, it is believed that her father was a John Henderson who died in Baltimore County in 1720. 

John Board married Jemima Henderson on 13 January 1733 in St. Paul’s Parish. John would have been 26 years old at the time of marriage. In subsequent years, the births of several of the children of John and Jemima were recorded in St. Paul’s register. 

John appears in tax lists for Lunenburg County, Virginia, in 1750 and 1752 in the area settled by a Nicholas Haile. Therefore, by 1750 at least, John had apparently acquired land, cleared it, built a home, and transported his family to that area of Virginia. This is the area that later became Bedford County. 

To this day, there is a Board Mountain in Bedford County, north of the Staunton, or Roanoke, River, near the town of Goodview. On maps, Route 653 appears to go over the mountain. 

John Board Senior died in Bedford County, Virginia, before 24 September 1787, when his will was recorded. The will names wife Jemima, sons Stephen, Absalom, James, and William, and daughter Mary Hix. 

(Excerpted from The Board Family Chronicle).

 

EDWARD BROWNE V (1631-1678)


Edward Browne V was born in 1631 in County Kent and was baptized in London in 1632.  At the urging of his relative, William Piper, Edward Browne decided to immigrate to the Maryland Colony in 1655.  Upon his arrival, Edward settled at Kent Island, Maryland, at the mouth of the Chester River. 

Edward Browne married Sarah Williams (the daughter of Morgan and Amy Williams) on 28 October 1668 at St. Paul's Parish, Kent County, Maryland.  Edward and Sarah Browne had three sons:  Morgan Brown I (11 October 1669), Edward Brown VI (1678), and Thomas Brown.

Edward Browne's father-in-law, Morgan Williams, was a constable in Kent County, Maryland.   Edward Browne served as constable of the Upper Hundred of Kent County, Maryland, from 1669 to 1670.  Edward Browne obtained a land grant and settled at Eastern Neck, Kent County, where lived out the remainder of his life.  He had also obtained a grant of land on Lankford's Bay, four miles upstream from the mouth of the Chester River, but he never developed it due to the hostility of the local Indians. 

Edward Browne died in 1678 in Kent County, Maryland.  An inventory of his estate was made on 29 June 1678.

MAREEN DUVALL (1630-1694)

Mareen Duvall was born around 1630 in Laval, a town in Upper Brittany located in Northwestern France about 40 miles east of Rennes.

The French government’s oppression of Huguenots most likely led to Mareen Duvall’s emigration from France to Maryland. He came to the Province of Maryland in the 1650s and on January 22, 1659 Mareen Duvall’s first land patent, called Laval, was granted to him. The exact text reads as follows: “Do hereby grant unto the said Marin Duvall a Parcell of Land called Lavall lying on the West side if the Chesapeake Bay, and on the West side of…South river, and on the Westermost branch of said river near the head respecting the land of John Freeman toward the north Beginning at a marked oak by a branch.”

This proof for his Breton heritage is supported by the fact that Mareen Duvall titled the first land patented to him “Laval.” This naming of tracts of land after ancestral estates or native parishes was practiced by early Maryland settlers. The colony officially assigned a distinctive name to each tract of land with the Patentee choosing the distinctive name under which it was enrolled. Although the system was officially discontinued after the American Revolution, many of these names have survived to present day. Even into the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, deeds often mentioned the various names of the original land grants including that of “Laval.”

On December 16, 1664, Mareen Duvall received his second land grant called “Middle Plantation” for 600 acres. This land was located in the political division of South River Hundred. By assignment, Duvall received 250 acres from John Ewen, 50 acres from Thomas Parsons, and by assignment of a warrant, 300 acres from Andrew Skinner. Mareen Duvall built a house on the property and was described “as luxurious and courtly as any of the manors of the English gentry.” The plantation is identified by a historical marker.

In 1683, the Maryland General Assembly appointed Mareen Duvall “Commissioners for the Advancement of Trade.” As such, Mareen was responsible for “buying and purchasing of the aforesaid Towne Lands Parts and places of now owners and possessors of the same as for the surveying and laying out of the said Ports Townes & places aforesaid & making & staking out the several Lotts to be laid out in the said Townes.    

Within 35 years, Mareen Duvall became a prominent landholder and merchant. His land holdings included not only property in Maryland but also property in Charleston, South Carolina where one of his descendants, Stephen Duvall, was a Captain in the South Carolina Navy during the American Revolution and died in British captivity. Duvall had purchased sizeable tracts of land, including Catton, later known as Belair. Rising in status to a successful planter and merchant, by the time of his death, Mareen Duvall had acquired, by assignment and purchases, nearly 3,000 acres of land and an estate worth in excess of £1,400. He died in 1694 and his third and final wife, Mary Stanton, administered his substantial estate.

Mareen’s will was probated in about the time of the removal of the Capitol from St. Mary's to Annapolis. He left his third wife Mary a vast estate. His heirs, in order mentioned in his will were: his wife, MARY, who inherited a life interest in "Middle Plantation" with the remainder at the death of his stepmother; daughter ELIZABETH, who received £150 and 375 acres called "Bowdel’s Choice" in Calvert County; son BENJAMIN, who received £150 and 200 acres, which was one-half of "Howerton’s Range"; son MAREEN "the younger", who received £150 and 300 acres called "The Plains" in Calvert County; daughter MARY who received £150 and 320 acres called "Morley’s Grove" and 370 acres called "Morley’s Lott"; daughter JOHANNA, who received £150 and 311 acres called "Larkins Choice" and 200 acres called "Duvall’s Range", both located in Anne Arundel Co.; son JOHN who received 5 shillings, all wearing apparel and a silver tobacco box. John was appointed co-executor with his brother, Lewis, and his brother-in-law Robert Tyler; son SAMUEL, who received 5 shillings; son MAREEN "the elder", who received 5 shillings; and daughter SUSANNA, who received a silver tankard.

One can easily reconstruct the family of Mareen Duvall. The older children, who had already made their way, received little in the way of money or land. These were the children of his first wife: JOHN, LEWIS, SAMUEL, SUSANNA and MAREEN “the elder”. It is also know he had a daughter named ELEANOR, who received nothing in the will, perhaps she was also from the first wife. To explain naming two sons MAREEN in the will, it was common in those times to have sons with the same name, born of different wives, who were many years apart in age, probably to ensure passage of the name. Hence MAREEN “the elder,” born about 1662, and MAREEN “the younger,” born about 1680. MAREEN "the younger,” along with his full siblings ELIZABETH, BENJAMIN, MARY and JOHANNA, inherited land and money in their father Mareen’s will. They were obviously children of his second wife.

Mareen’s widow, Mary, married second Colonel Henry Ridgely Sr., as his third wife. She was later to become the wife of Rev. Mr. Henderson, the commissary of the Church of England. One of Mareen’s wives was closely allied to John Larkin, a neighbor and enduring friend of Mareen. Of his children, MAREEN "the Elder,” also called "Marius", by his mother-in-law, married Frances Stockett, daughter of Thomas Stockett. He was ancestor of John Pearce Duvall who was a member of the Virginia House of Delegates and Virginia Senate for a number of years. Capt. JOHN Duvall, who held a large estate, married Elizabeth Jones, daughter of William Jones, Sr. Of Anne Arundel County. SAMUEL Duvall married Elizabeth Clark, in 1687; SUSANNA married Robert Tyler and was the ancestress of Brigadier General Bradley T. Johnson, CSA; LEWIS Duvall married Martha Ridgley, only daughter of the Honorable Robert Ridgely, of St. Inigoes, in 1699.

Other notable descendants include U.S. Presidents John Tyler, Harry S. Truman and Barack Obama, American Vice-President Dick Cheney, U.S. Associate Supreme Court Justice Gabriel Duvall, Confederate Brigadier General Bradley Tyler Johnson, Wallis Simpson (for whom Edward VIII gave up the throne), actor Robert Duvall, and billionaire Warren Buffett.

ALEXANDER MAGRUDER (1610-1677)

Alexander Magruder was born in Scotland in 1610 to Alexander McGruder, and Lady Margaret (Campbell) Drummond.  Lady Margaret was the daughter of Nicholas Campbell, 1st Laird of Keithick, and married Andrew Drummond, Laird of Ballycose” after her first husband’s death around 1617. 

Magruder is a derivative of the name MacGregor, and Alexander is considered the first “immigrant ancestor” of the MacGregor clan. The American Clan Gregor Society, recognized by the Scottish Chief of Clan Gregor as his official American representative organization, was founded by descendants of Alexander Magruder in 1909.   The MacGregors were outlawed by King James in 1603, a period known as the Proscription, wherein any person was legally allowed to assassinate anyone with the name MacGregor.  Thus, many persons changed their surnames to avoid political assassination.  The current Clan Gregor has over 100 “sept names” due to the Proscription, which was ended by King Charles II after the Restoration.

We don’t know much about Alexander’s life in Scotland.  In 1622, at age 12, he was fined for hunting without a license in Cargill.  It is theorized that after his mother’s remarriage, Alexander served as a factor on the Drummond estates under the aegis of William Drummond, Viscount Strathallan.

It is also unclear exactly why and when Alexander arrived in Maryland.  One theory is that he was transported as a prisoner of war to be an indentured servant. He may have served in the King Charles II’s Scottish army, perhaps having been captured in action and subsequently transported to America as a prisoner of war after the Battle of Preston in 1648.

Some researchers claim he was captured at the Battle of Worcester in September 1651, but the timing is nearly impossible.  Magruder’s first definite appearance in Maryland records was in June 1652, when he purchased 500 acres on the north side of the Patuxent River in Calvert Co. (now Prince George’s).  “As wealth or backing was needed to finance land transactions in Maryland, [he may have had] a patron,” who “bound out” (or paid to release him from) his indenture.  T.G. Magruder suggested that such patron may have been the aforementioned William Drummond, Viscount Strathallan.

Alexander Magruder was a wealthy landowner at the time of his death: his inventories totaled about 49,000 pounds, a very healthy sum in that time period.  Specifically, at his death, Magruder owned at least 1700 acres in Calvert County, and some 1350 in St. Mary’s County.  A named overseer in his will, proven January 25, 1677, was Ninian “Beale”, who is also a qualifying ancestor for the Order of the First Families of Maryland (as Ninian Beall, 1652). 

He died at one of his properties, called Anchovie Hills.  The site is slightly southeast of current-day Magruder’s Ferry and Croom Rd., Brandywine, near current-day Upper Marlboro, Prince George’s County.  It is now a wildlife preserve and headstone has been located, but the marker pictured to the right was erected by the ACGS in 1952 at St. John’s College in Annapolis.

For more information, as well as references for the information herein, please take a look at Alexander Magruder’s WikiTree profile, at https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Magruder-21.